Blog Archive

Sunday, July 16, 2017

The first day

First day nerves.

That was last Wednesday and I still haven't fully recovered.

I realized the night before that I don't really know how to be a regular grown-up.

This is my first non-classroom job.

It was pretty awesome to walk in and realize that I have a desk.

A phone, a filing cabinet, and a team.

There are five of us who share a large office space.

We have a secretary.

A secretary?

The first day, I felt a little lost.

Everyone was super nice.

I met way too many people to remember.

Though the building is not terribly large, I still feel like I might get lost.

There wasn't much work I knew how to do yet.

But I tried not to waste my time.


I got my laptop and got it set up with my second screen.

The organization of the files makes sense to me.

Numerous emails were successfully sent.

I have a substantial to do list.

A draft of my 30-60-90 is complete and turned in for review.

I started reviewing the curriculum documents for elementary.

Plus, there was lunch.

I swear I sat there for twenty full minutes wondering.

I can really just get up and leave?

Without telling anyone?

Or asking permission?

Or being told when to be back?

Or anything?

It was sooooo weird.

It felt almost unnatural.

Then to add to the weirdness, I went home.

My new office is less than 10 minutes from my house.

Literally just right up the street.

I had time to go home, eat, have a conversation, get some stuff together, and still get back on time.

There is a ton of work to do.

I have a lot to learn.

But I can get used to this schedule, I think.

Either way, change and challenge is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!