Blog Archive

Monday, May 9, 2016

I know its a day late...

But I wrote this after I posted yesterday, and I think every day should be Mother's Day.

Because my mom, she is awesome.

I have known this my whole life.

She has overcome more than most people could dream of facing.

And with a stellar attitude no less.

I think the attitude is probably the thing that impresses me the most.

A couple of weeks ago, we went over to her house for dinner.

She told me something I never really realized...but it makes perfect sense.

First, a little snippet of background:

My mother had Polio as a child.

Because of this, she has very limited use of her right leg.

At dinner, she said something like this "I knew when I had children, I wouldn't be able to run after them. So, I made a decision to make sure that from birth, I was a place of love. A place my children would want to return to."

Those aren't the exact words. But close enough I think.

I love that idea.

I love it because for as long as I can remember, my little sister and I have totally felt that way.

I love it because it worked. We really never ran away.

I love it because my sister seems to make herself that way for everyone she encounters. We are a family of collectors: my sister collects people.

I love it because it rings true to how I conduct myself as teacher. I want my students to know without doubt that I love them.

It works for me.

I guess I understand a little more why now.

I could go on for HOURS about how and why my mom is a fantastic human being and an even better parent.

But this one little comment at the dinner table gives you an idea of how much I have to be thankful for.

Of how completely exceptional my mom is.

Of how well she taught me to be a place of love for the children I encounter.

That is, indeed, a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!