Blog Archive

Friday, May 27, 2016

Sometimes

Sometimes a colleague finds an irresistible opportunity.

Sometimes I am happy because everyone should follow their joy.

Sometimes I am sad because losing good people just sucks.

Sometimes I am confused because the change is unexpected.

No matter what, though, I admire people who follow their dreams.

And when someone asks me for a letter, I always say yes.

First, because only those who know I value them ever ask.

That is flattering, gratifying, and reminds me how much the trust of my colleagues means to me.

Second, because it is the right thing to do.

Teaching is a profession, but no classroom should ever feel like a life sentence.

Third, because it might be me.

My goals include opportunities beyond the classroom. I want to work with teachers.

I have already been the one asking.

Someday I will be the one asking again.
This past week, I was approached by a colleague.

It was unexpected.

She visited my room to make the request in person and she was sweetly hesitant and shy about it.

She is a strong and innovative teacher.

It would be a travesty if we were to lose her.

It would be a blessing if we kept her, even in another position.

Anyway, I said yes and asked her to email if she didn't have it by Thursday.

On Thursday, she sent me a one line reminder email.

It had slipped my mind.

I immediately got to work.

A couple of hours later, I sent her a completed letter and asked her to let me know if there was anything she wanted me to adjust.

And to tell me if she saw any typos.

Her response was almost immediate.

Without doubt, her words of kindness and gratitude made my day.

I think it is a good thing when we support each other professionally.

And it is always a privilege to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!