Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I told you it was weird.

I realized a weirdly awesome thing today.

This year's students don't steal.

I mean, not so far at least.

Now, to be real, the vast majority of kids don't steal.

But typically, when you leave stuff out around teens, it disappears.

Scissors, tape, pens, markers, change, food all walk away.

Or at least, if you aren't paying super close attention. . .

I am really bad at paying super close attention.

(Unless we are talking about black markers--then I count them before anyone can leave!)

It isn't that I don't care. I do.

It isn't that I trust too much. I don't. That's a lie, I definitely do.

It is an issue of perspective.

I just can't believe most kids are malicious, even while they doing something destructive.

Like, you know, walking away with my scissors!
So, while I try to keep most things put away most of the time, I'm not too persnickety.

Over the years, I have come to expect some loss.

This sounds terrible, but kind of like stores who factor in the cost of a bit of thievery, I buy extra.

But this year, it hasn't been an issue yet.

And we are in week six, so the newbie shine has pretty well rubbed off.

Stuff gets left out, laying on desks, or where ever.

Not much, though. Not really.

A few pencils have, of course, grown legs.

Adults do that constantly--seriously, what other reason would there be pens with chains?

Forgetfulness, while occasionally irritating, is not exactly criminal.

Or that big a deal.

If I cared more, and later in the year, I might, I would flag my pencils and pens with duct tape.

It is nice to realize that stuff just isn't disappearing like it has before.

I told you it was weird.

I wasn't kidding.

Sometimes, little things like that strike me and make me happy.

This is a good thing.

If nothing else, it keeps me sane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!