Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Except!

It is February.

Registration is upon us.

This is a tough time of year.

Everyone is tired.

The weather is generally crap.

Students are feeling cooped up, bored, and worried.

Ok, teachers are too.

My nerves are pretty thoroughly fried.

This is the time of year I start to ask kids what they working on...

and then telling them "my nerves don't count."

The other day, I told a particularly squirrelly class not to break my last nerve or it might whip up and stab one of them in the eye.

They are almost certain I am kidding.

Only one failed to recognize the figurative nature of the comment.

On top of all that comes registration.
The seemingly benign process of having students select next year's classes.

Except!

Except we are on a special schedule for most of a week.

Except the process has, in some ways, the clarity of a lobster bisque.

Except it is annoying.

Except every kid asks the same questions at least 17 times!

Ugh!

But despite all that, my students have been pretty awesome.

There has been very little complaining.

Everyone has come more or less prepared.

On the day I had to leave early for a doctor's appointment, I wasn't worried.

So, yeah, I am feeling February.

I know there will be a spike in fights and couple spats and general unruliness.

But the registration process has been surprisingly painless.

And that is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!