Blog Archive

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Small victory.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't posted it yet.

I thought about changing the verb tenses and time references.

I didn't. I left it as I wrote it:

Kids say the darndest things.

Then again, so do adults.

In a moment when most educators are reeling for various political reasons I refuse to bring to my blog, those little gems are especially important.

Thursday, a student told me that I must be in my late 20s.

I'm going to be 40 in little more than a year.

He then listed me as one of the teachers he trusts and feels comfortable talking to.

I've never had this kid in class.

He and his twin are my neighbor teacher's babies.

I've seen him in the hall often enough.

It is gratifying to think a few encounters have left such a good impression on him.

Another day last week, a student got very upset during registration....because I can't be his English teacher next year.

One young lady has told me my outfit is cute every day this week.

The counselors who came to my room for the final chapter of registration were pleased with the behavior of my students (whew!).


Near the end of registration day, I ran into another counselor in the hall.

She had spent the day in a 10th grade classroom.

I asked about her day and she said it went well.

Then she looked at me and said "All respect. I do not know how you do it!"

It is always nice when people realize how hard teaching can be.

One of my most challenging students left a thank you note on my desk.

Thank you for what, I'm not sure, but I'll take it.

My grade level principal came by to consult on a kiddo who has been struggling lately.

His compliment was twofold: I noticed the issue early, and I keep giving this young lady a chance.

Nevermind she is driving me crazy and I have written her up and put her out twice in the last two weeks.

It was still nice to know I might be helping her some kind of way.

Small victory.

Three kids last week told me mine is their favorite class.

Today, a kid told me I was his second favorite teacher.

Three kids emailed me about improving their grades.

Two stayed after school for help and to get caught up on late work.

Next week, I will be absent for four days.

Two different conferences with two different presentations, back to back.

My students freaked out when I told them.

Not in a mean or bad way.

In a "Why are you leaving us?" and a "Where are you going?" kind of way.

It was sweet.

I have found that when I tell them everything ahead of time:

 I will be gone, and where, and why, and what they will be doing, and who will be there substitute, they handle themselves better.

We shall see.

The point is kids say the darndest things.

So do adults.

And if you are paying attention, some of those things are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!