Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

That dude has energy: Dave Burgess

Dave Burgess is my new hero.

I seriously never knew anyone could talk so fast.

And I talk really really fast.

I've followed him on Twitter for ages.

Until today, I hadn't gotten around to buying his book.

You know: Teach Like a Pirate?

Now I'm glad I didn't own it because he signed mine.

That dude has energy.

He also has some really valid points.

My favorite quote of the morning:

"We are all in the PR department of our schools."

He was talking about building experiences instead of designing lessons.

He asked us how many students would attend our classes if it was required.

Then he asked us what lessons we teach that are so engaging we could actually sell tickets.

It is to that level of awesome he suggests we all aspire.


In the process, he was also modeling some of the "hooks" he uses.

Secrecy, taboo, mystery, props, pictures, video, music etc.

What I love about them is that they aren't gimmicks, they are based on sound neuroscience.

And I like his focus on presentation.

Delivery matters.

His analogy was vivid:

It doesn't matter how great the steak you have is, if you fail to cook it, and cook it well, no one will want to eat it.

There was a lot of tossing around of a plastic steak to emphasize the point

He made a powerful argument about creativity that I also really appreciate.

Creativity isn't a gift, a personality trait beyond our control.

Creativity is hard work.

While it may come more naturally to some, it isn't like being struck by lightning.

Coming up with creative ideas in the classroom take effort and practice.

And it starts with good questions.

If you can ask meaningful questions you will find the creative ideas that you are seeking.

There is a list of a ton of questions in his book.

Hurray!

I know because I already glanced through the book I bought.

I felt inspired after less than two hours.

METC's fist keynote speaker is my good thing today.

If I learn nothing else and I enjoy no other presentations, this single hour will have made attendance worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!