Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The answer is no.

I've written about this kid before.

She belongs to my neighbor more than to me.

The other day, she stayed after school to help a couple of students.

One needed help completing an overdue assignment.

The other needed to complete a quiz.

She worked in my colleague's room while debate practice happened in my room and the hall.

I was the supervising adult.

Toward the end of the day, I poked my head in to see how it was going.

Immediately, she called me over for help.

I answered a couple of content questions for each kid.

This senior looked at me and said "Thank God you were here! I didn't know what to say."

I thanked her and encouraged her to ask for help when she needs it.

She has aspirations to be a teacher.

One of the lessons she has to learn is that being a teacher does not mean knowing all the answers.

It worked out and both students finished the required tasks.


The next morning, the three of us, myself, my colleague, and the Senior in question, were standing around before school.

This young lady is pretty adorable.

She showed us pictures of her recently purchased prom dress (it's adorable).

Then she asked if I would be at prom.

The answer is no.

I don't do school dances.

Basically, I had a bad experience my first year teaching and it spoiled the fun for me.

Plus, my boyfriend refuses to go with me.

The point is, the answer is no.

She challenged me to attend, before turning to my co-worker and asking if she would be there.

Of course she will.

Then this young lady told my colleague that she should come, but she needed to keep her distance.

I said, "Wait, what? You want her to show up and then stay away?"

"And you want me to come too?"

"Do I get to follow you around?"

To which she responded, "You're like the fun aunt, so you can hang out with me."

That's adorable and kinda weird.

I'll take the compliment as a good thing.

But I'm still not going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!