Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Training doesn't always suck.

PD has a bad reputation.

It is often just plain painful.

Hour after hour of having someone reading a PowerPoint to the audience.

Or forced group activities that feel terribly artificial.

As a PD person, I try to avoid creating such monstrosities.

As a member of a staff, I do not get such choices.

So when I was told we would be joining a principal retreat for a day, I wasn't too hopeful.

But I was pleasantly surprised.

It wasn't nearly as boring as I feared.

Actually, most of it was pretty fabulous.

Thought-provoking, interesting, generally good.

The morning was a session on trauma-informed practices.

There wasn't a ton of practical ideas, but the ideas were there.

The presenter was engaging.

It felt like everyone in the room ended with a similar mindset.

That, in and of itself, is a pretty awesome accomplishment.


The afternoon was equity training.

We were given a chance to have real, painful, honest conversations.

I loved it.

Not everyone thought it was a great use of time.

But most of the people I spoke with were pleased we were finally having the conversations about race, and money, and privilege.

At first, I was seated with a group near the front but off to one side.

The best part about that was being by the wall so I could stand most of the time.

Then the presenter told me I was in the wrong group.

I wasn't, I was on the list twice.

It was a little embarrassing for both of us, but I moved without a fuss.

My new group was right in the middle of the room.

After that, I had to stay on my butt.

I did get out my spinner, though, and no one seemed to mind.

The conversations were rich and raw.

So many people find conversation a waste of time.

It feels like nothing is getting done.

I tend to disagree.

Talking is how you build community.

Its how you establish trust and vision and commonality.

Conversation is the first step.

If you stop there, it is a waste of time.

But if you never stop and talk, you build everything else on a shaky foundation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!