Blog Archive

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Fond Memory Moment

I had a fond memory moment yesterday, or maybe it was Tuesday. I don't remember.

It was a powerful enough memory that I am still thinking about it today.

As part of 1:1 roll out this week, I have witnessed a committed cohort of students do a positively amazing job of helping out.

One young lady in particular, let's call her Chelsey, has impressed me.

She has worked at the door greeting families and directing them to the first stations with unfailing enthusiasm.

I want to be just like her when I grow up.

The other day, as I thought about what a great job she was doing, I had this vivid recollection of her.

It was early last year or maybe even the year the before.


Our principal played music between classes and assigned detentions for late students. We call these hall sweeps.

During one such sweep, I saw Chelsey.

I was standing in my doorway as the passing period wound down, Chelsey came careening down the hall.

She was all running but only her legs moved-her upper body remained relentlessly upright.

Spindly legs working, elbows akimbo, books propped precariously in the crook of one arm, hair a foot high and waving wildly, she skidded around the corner by my room screaming:

"I gotta be on time, I can't be late, or Spiller is gonna be ON MY HEAD!"

She was right.

Our principal would surely have given her a hard time for her tardiness.

She tumbled through the door of her class at the last possible second.

Then stuck her out the door and grinned back at me.

That was my fond memory moment.

The image of this thin whirly twirly girl flying to class is etched in my brain.

In some ways, Chelsey hasn't changed.

She still has the same big voice, big hair, and big personality.

She still runs slightly crouched, but with perfect waist up posture.

She still smiles, grins, radiates enthusiasm even when she is exhausted.

But part of the reason my memory of this moment is soooo pleasant is because of how much she has grown.

Her leadership skills, her authentic eagerness, her positive attitude, her timeliness have all expanded exponentially.

The thing is, I never had Chelsey in class.

I'm not 100% sure why or how she knows my name.

I have no recollection of how or why I know hers.

Her success has NOTHING to do with me.

And I could not be prouder or more thankful that she is a member of our student body.

It is such a good thing to see a child grow, to watch a young person start to emerge into adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!