Blog Archive

Monday, July 25, 2016

I'm exhausted in the best kind of way.

I'm exhausted.

Not just tired, but bone deep weary.

Almost as crushingly worn out as the first day of a new school year.

And it is totally my own fault.

I scheduled a PLC meeting for this morning.

I agreed to attend a lunch meeting to plan PD.

I volunteered to help with 1:1 roll out from 1:00 to 6:00 every day this week, except Friday.

Seriously, what is wrong with me?!?

My schedule this week looks like the school year has already begun.

And I am loving every minute of it.


I love it because my PLC is supporting my aspirations to participate in NaNoWriMo with my students this fall.

I may even have company on that particular journey.

I created a plan to (more or less) get rid of my teacher desk (I will be using it against a wall as storage).

I love it because my PD partner and I are already planning our fall "crimes."

I love it because I learned today.

I listened, and took notes, and discussed.

I got to meet our new assistant principal.

I found out who I will be teaching with this year.

All of those are good things.

And they all pale in comparison to the joy of watching streams of freshmen and their families run the gauntlet of paperwork to get a Chromebook for the first time.

None of those things are as invigorating as greeting parents and answering questions.

It was a tedious process, but thanks to the hard work of our technology committee, ran smoothly.

My part in the roll out is minor, at best.

I stood around a lot, ran to my room for supplies, and double-checked insurance registration.

Chatting with the interpreters was a pleasant interlude during the lulls between orientation groups.

There was nothing particularly fun or interesting about the work.

But it was incredibly satisfying to witness how excited (in a typically understated teenage way) students were to receive a Chromebook.

It was gratifying to hear students ask questions about using their machines at home.

It was amazing to witness the exceptional patience so many parents exercised because they believe in the importance and opportunities of participating in a 1:1 education.

It was amusing to see key staff seem almost giddy at how successful the day was.

It was, well, it was fun.

So, yeah, I'm exhausted in the best kind of way.

Maybe by the end of the week, this exhaustion will feel a little less like a good thing.

For now, it's a pretty comfortable price to pay for how much fun I had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!