Blog Archive

Friday, July 22, 2016

More motivation mojo...

More motivation mojo...

Jumping with both feet into the new school year is kicking my butt!

But it is also fun.

This week, I completed 19 items off my back to school to do list.

I worked on a few more too...like reading chapters in the 5 or so books I want to get through.

I mean, I sent a dozen productive emails and started two projects.

An agenda has been started and everyone can intend our first PLC meeting next week--which is awesome!

I edited and submitted a blog post for an individual who is amazing and who I admire intensely. (It will be published in a few months and then it will appear here, I promise!)

I provided some ideas for an article in a parenting magazine that will come out in September (with attribution to me for my input!).

I participated in a local Twitter chat and learned a lot.

But the best part was probably the shopping.


All the best school sales seem to be happening this week. You know, before tax free weekend.

And, I love to shop. Bargain hunting might actually be my favorite thing in the world.

I love it with a passion and a single-minded desire to find the best deal that few can match.

Actually, I've honed the skill to a point that it is largely unconscious...and sometimes annoys people.

Before I went shopping I made a list of supplies I might need...

and more importantly, a list of things of I am NOT ALLOWED TO BUY.

My classroom is always jam packed with supplies.

When I find a good deal, I tend to stock up (my friends might say "overbuy hoarder style"-they might be right).

So this year, I took inventory in my classroom ahead of time.

I was looking for pencils, colored pencils, markers, scissors, tape, colored card stock, and composition books.

And I was not allowed to buy lined paper, construction paper, colored paper, notebooks, pens, post its, erasers, or dry erase markers.

Mostly I stuck to those lists. Mostly.

I found Crayola markers and colored pencils for .97$ and Westscott scissors 1$ each, and composition books for .50$.

Then I also found erasers super cheap and dry erase markers for like 4$ for a pack. Oops.

There is just something extremely satisfying about finding the things you need for a price that is just embarrassingly low.

Plus I really to give stuff away.

I got a great little present for all our new teachers.

My colleagues know that if they need something, I am the person to ask: if I don't have it, I probably know where to get it on the cheap.

The point is, shopping is my happy place.

Knowing your happy place and getting to spend some time there is a pretty good thing.

Bonus: School shopping helps with the motivation mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!