Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Not as hard?!

Sometimes the smallest things make my day.

About a week ago, I finally caught up with my most recent student teacher.

It has been months since we talked.

Which is entirely my fault.

After all, I am not a new teacher,

So I should have been checking in more often.

I told her that and she laughed at me.

The reason I reached out?

My (now former, that is so weird) school had openings.

She didn't apply.

Turns out, she really likes her job.

She is teaching at a charter middle school.

That is THE hardest job I can imagine.

I asked her about her year.

Then she said it.


"It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be."

I almost started crying.

I can't imagine a greater measure of success as a mentor teacher.

When I started teaching, everything was hard.

Everything was harder than I thought it would be.

Her first year on her own she felt prepared.

She felt so prepared it wasn't as hard as she thought it would be.

Without thinking about it, I said, "Then I did my job!"

And she said, "Yes, you did."

It is gratifying to see the fruits of your teaching come to bear.

She didn't say it was easy.

I would find that worrisome.

But not as hard?

Wow. Just wow.

She loves her job and already signed a contract for next year.

I am so honored I got to be a part of her growth.

I don't want to say I am proud of her, that feels condescending somehow.

Let me say instead, I am SUPER impressed.

She is making it.

Seeing a new teacher launch her career is a very good thing.

Knowing I played some small roll in her success, priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!