Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Coincidence

The other day I went to one of the high schools.

It was the first day of student attendance.

I didn't go to "observe" teachers.

I wasn't doing "walk throughs."

It was the first day of student attendance.

But, there are a lot of people to get to know.

Hundreds, literally.

And there are a lot of buildings to get to know.

30, to be exact.

Part of my job is to visit schools and classrooms.

Plus, this school has a brand new, just hired, ELL teacher with four preps.

Maybe a little extra support is in order.

I walked into her classroom and got a very pleasant surprise.

A former student of mine was sitting there.

I had him two or three years ago as a freshman.

He was always so quiet.

Quiet, but smart, observant, and with a wicked sense of humor.

When nonsense abounded, he was almost always the instigator.

And I could barely get him to talk to me.

I mean, he is a soft spoken dude.

But, he wouldn't say three words to me.

When I finally started getting a solid head nod when I said hello, I felt awesome.

He was sitting, not surprisingly, off to one side of the room.

With that slightly smug, mischievous look I know so well.

I totally put him on blast.

I said hello like it was the most natural thing in the world for us both to be there.

While wearing my central office name tag.

He squirmed and refused to make eye contact...

and was secretly pleased to be seen.

I doubt he cared about seeing me.

But I bet he cared that I saw and remembered him.

I don't know, it was nice.

Unexpected and silly, but nice.

Knowing a few kids here and there is still a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!