Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Unpredictable challenge

I stopped at the QT for lunch the other day.

Gas station food isn't exactly healthy, but it was what I had time for.

And I ran into a former student.

Honestly, I don't remember his name.

He didn't even recognize me.

I definitely remembered his face.

I stopped and asked him if he went to R*****.

He kind of shrugged yes.

"Did you have me for English?"

"Um, probably..." followed by an uncomfortable and sheepish grin.

I don't know why that moment made me smile.

This is not a kid whose life I changed...

Or even made an impression on.

Maybe it was just a nice reminder of what used to be.


Maybe I enjoy discomfiting former students.

Maybe a little too much even.

Maybe I am extra sensitive to the young people around me.

There are so few of them these days.

I miss them.

And I don't at the same time.

You know, I realized today that I have been in this new position for six weeks.

Not six months, not six years, six weeks.

I'm exhausted and I feel like I've been doing this forever.

I also feel like I still have only the barest idea of what I am up to.

That in and of itself is pretty awesome.

There is no challenge like an unpredictable challenge.

Some days, that is more than enough.

Today is one of those days.

Running into a former student reminds me of everything I'm missing.

It also reminds me of everything I've gained, everything I'm learning, everything I'm doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!