Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Once in a while, I know the answer

When you start a new job, doing something completely different, you feel stupid.

At least, I do.

Like everyone knows more than you about pretty much everything.

Like your peers have got to be sick of your questions.

Like you are kind of slow and very forgetful.

When you start a new job, all your quirks show.

Or at least, I think they do.

There is just sooooo much to learn.

And so little time to think.

And so many questions to ask.

And so many questions to answer.

Most of which you answer with let me ask someone and find an answer.

I have lists of lists I need to make lists about.

Most of which I don't have time to make.

But this weird thing is starting to happen.

Once in a while, I know the answer.


Someone in the office calls out "Does anybody know...?"

And I can say, "I do, we are supposed to..."

How cool is that.

I get emails from teachers all the time.

Most of which are asking questions I can't answer.

But this weird thing is starting to happen.

Once in a while, I know the answer.

"Your books will be arriving Monday."

"Your password is RandomWord12."

"Here is a copy of the assessment schedule for your reference."

It feels awesome to be able to help.

It feels awesome to give a teacher something they need.

Something that makes their day better or helps them teach.

And I'm starting to build some relationships too.

Today, I traded alliterative nonsense via email...

with an instructional coach at one of the middle schools...

just because fun.

My teammates are starting to tease me.

Ok, they teased me from day one, but it feels more natural now.

Its like I told my boss yesterday,

I don't feel like I'm drowning...I'm swimming laps yet either, but treading water.

Since I was a little worried I might just sink, that works for me.

And the good thing, more and more often, once in a while, I know an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Does this good thing remind you of a story of your own? Have a question or comment? Please leave a comment!